Best Travel Tips Before Traveling to Europe 2023
This article was created by a dedicated and authentic team of passionate travelers from the PTA Team, who are not only experienced travel experts but also proud members of the World Travel & Tourism Council (WTTC). Our sole purpose is to assist and support fellow travelers in planning their tours with utmost care and precision. With exclusive information, valuable insights, and meticulous analysis, we strive to provide high-quality content that leaves no room for mistakes. Count on us to deliver comprehensive destination reports and all the necessary information to ensure an exceptional and well-planned travel experience for you. Learn More
Article Table of Content
Best Travel Tips Before Traveling to Europe 2023
Traveling to Europe can be an exciting and enriching experience, but it's important to be well-prepared before embarking on your journey. In 2023/2024, as travel restrictions continue to fluctuate due to the COVID-19 pandemic, it's especially important to stay up-to-date on the latest travel requirements and regulations.
In addition to staying informed on the latest travel news, there are several other tips to keep in mind before traveling to Europe. These tips can help ensure a smoother and more enjoyable trip, while also helping you stay safe and comfortable throughout your travels. From packing essentials to navigating transportation, here are some of the best travel tips before traveling to Europe in 2023/2024.
1- Tips for Arrange Your Trip
Arrange Your Trip to Europe - Best Time to Visit Europe
Go as early or as late as possible to the busy places in peak season, Consider, for example, a six-week European tour starting on June 1, half of which is a railcard to see the famous sights of Austria and Italy, and the other half to visit relatives in Scotland. It would be of wisdom to take the railway traffic department first, enjoy fewer crowds, Then spend some time with your family during the last half of your vacation when Salzburg and Florence are full of tourists. Salzburg is completely different on June 10 from Salzburg on June 10 July.
2-Spending the Night
Night view of Plovdiv hills with Aliosha statue, Eastern Europe, Balkan peninsula, Bulgaria - Best Time to Visit Europe
Day trip destinations near major cities and resorts take a more peaceful and enjoyable night out such as San Marino (close to Italy's huge beach resorts), Toledo (near Madrid), and San Gimignano (near Florence), Travelers retreat to the expected plumbing in their large cities or beach resort hotels. Small towns usually lack large enough hotels for tourist groups and often cannot be reached by large buses. So, at worst, they face crowds in the middle of the day. Similarly, popular destinations for cruise ships, such as Dubrovnik and Venice are crowded during the day, but more affordable at night, when crowds of cruise ships sail.
3-Prepare for Extreme Heat
Rio Verde Beach in Marbella, Malaga, Spain - Best Time to Visit Europe
Europeans say that the weather gets hotter each year. Even restaurants in cold climates such as (Munich or Amsterdam) now tend to have wide outdoor seating to benefit from the longest open-air dining season, Expect high temperatures in July and August throughout Europe, especially in the south.
4-Do Not Exclude July and August
Three Towers of San Marino - Best Time to Visit Europe
Although crowds of tourists in Europe can be charged on a bell curve that peaked in July and August, there are exemptions. For example, Paris is comparatively empty in July and August but fully packed in June and September for trade fairs and conferences. In summer, the prices of business-class hotels in Scandinavia fall when business trips there fall. In most parts of Europe (especially France and Italy), the cities were partially closed in July and August, when local city residents take their holidays on the beach. You will hear that these are hard times to travel, but they are not a big problem.
5-It's Best to Try Some Places in Europe During the High Season
City of London skyline - Best Time to Visit Europe
Travel during the high season in the Scandinavian countries, Britain and Ireland, where the longest possible days and the best weather, where the terrible crowds have taken to other destinations, and the sights are closed in the shoulder season. The Scandinavian countries have a very short tourist season, from mid-June to late August.
6-Expect to Pay Less Often
The cathedral of Amiens is the largest one in France. View from the typical district of the Hortillonnages - Best Time to Visit Europe
Off-season ticket prices are often cheaper by hundreds of dollars. Many luxury hotels reduce their prices for travelers, and hotels' budgets will have a lot of vacancies, while some small or rural accommodations may be closed, some still open places are usually empty and more comfortable. For major cities such as Berlin, Scandinavian, and Brussels, business centers are more crowded with corporate travelers and more expensive in the off-season.
7-Beware of Shorter Hours
Beware of Shorter Hours in Europe - Best Time to Visit Europe
Take advantage of the limited hours of the day. Some of the sights are fully closed this season, most of which operate in shorter hours, setting the closing time as the sun sets. Winter sightseeing is great in large cities, which are vibrant all year round, but more frustrating in small tourist cities that can be particularly quiet, with the closure of restaurants and attractions, in December most of the beach resorts were closed as narrow as canned hams.
The wonderful evening atmosphere in Europe continues all year round in the south, winter streets are empty in the north in the evening, Tours in English are common in summer, rare in this season when most visitors are indigenous. Tourist information offices are usually open throughout the year, but their opening hours are shorter in winter.
8-Prepare for Any Kind of Weather
Tree Explain all Year Weather Seasons Prepare for any kind of weather - Best Time to Visit Europe
Most of Europe is located in Canadian latitudes, so winter days are short. Darkness at 5 pm. The weather can be cold, windy, and even worse. You must take layers of clothing such as a rain jacket, a hat of wool, waterproof shoes, gloves, tall shoes, and an umbrella. Wear warm clothing, cold weather may be colder when you are outdoors, and cheap hotels can be cold with storms during this season.
In conclusion, traveling to Europe can be an exciting and rewarding experience, but it requires careful planning and preparation. By following these travel tips before your trip, you can ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey. Remember to research your destination, pack appropriately, have all necessary documents and insurance, and be aware of local customs and etiquette. With these tips in mind, you can make the most of your European adventure and create unforgettable memories.
Video for Best Travel Tips Before Traveling to Europe 2023
Check this video for 101 EUROPE TRAVEL TIPS & MUST-KNOWS FOR FIRST TIMERS | Scams, Tourist Traps, What Not to Do & More! created by the Happy to Wander Â Youtube channel
What are the top tourist attractions to visit in Europe in 2023?
Europe is a diverse and culturally rich continent with many amazing attractions to visit. Here are some of the top tourist attractions to visit in Europe in 2023:
1. Eiffel Tower, Paris, France: The iconic Eiffel Tower is a must-visit attraction in Paris, offering stunning views of the city from the top.
2. Colosseum, Rome, Italy: The Colosseum is one of the most recognizable landmarks in Rome, offering a glimpse into the ancient world of gladiators and emperors.
3. Sagrada Familia, Barcelona, Spain: This stunning cathedral is an architectural masterpiece designed by Antoni Gaudi and has been under construction for over 100 years.
4. The Acropolis, Athens, Greece: The Acropolis is a symbol of ancient Greece, featuring the Parthenon, the Erechtheion, and other ancient temples.
5. Buckingham Palace, London, England: The official residence of the British monarch, Buckingham Palace is a must-visit attraction in London, especially for those interested in the royal family.
6. The Vatican Museums, Rome, Italy: The Vatican Museums are home to some of the world's most important art collections, including the Sistine Chapel.
7. The Anne Frank House, Amsterdam, Netherlands: This museum tells the story of Anne Frank, a young Jewish girl who hid from the Nazis during World War II.
8. The Northern Lights, Scandinavia: The Northern Lights, also known as Aurora Borealis, are a natural phenomenon that can be seen in Scandinavia during the winter months.
9. Neuschwanstein Castle, Bavaria, Germany: This fairy tale castle was built by King Ludwig II of Bavaria and served as the inspiration for the Disney Castle.
10. The Swiss Alps, Switzerland: The Swiss Alps offer stunning natural scenery, with opportunities for skiing, hiking, and other outdoor activities.
Of course, this is just a small selection of the many incredible attractions that Europe has to offer. There are countless other historical landmarks, museums, galleries, and natural wonders to explore throughout the continent.
What are the visa requirements for traveling to Europe in 2023?
Visa requirements for traveling to Europe in 2023 depend on your nationality and the purpose of your visit. Here's what you need to know:
1. Schengen Area: The Schengen Area is a group of 26 European countries that have abolished internal border controls. If you're a citizen of a country that is not part of the Schengen Area, you will need a Schengen visa to visit any of the member countries. The visa allows you to stay in the Schengen Area for up to 90 days within a 180-day period.
2. ETIAS: Starting in 2023 , travelers from visa-exempt countries, including the United States, will be required to obtain an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorization System) before traveling to the Schengen Area. ETIAS is an electronic travel authorization that will be valid for three years and allows for multiple entries within that period. The application process is expected to be simple and quick, with a fee of €7.
3. Work and study visas: If you plan to work or study in Europe, you will need to obtain the appropriate visa. Work visas are typically sponsored by the employer, while study visas are sponsored by the educational institution. The process for obtaining these visas can be more complex and may require additional documentation.
4. Other visas: Some countries in Europe, such as the United Kingdom and Ireland, have their own visa requirements separate from the Schengen Area. If you plan to visit these countries, check their specific visa requirements.
It's important to research the visa requirements well in advance of your trip to ensure that you have the necessary documentation. The application process can take several weeks or even months, so plan accordingly. Contact the embassy or consulate of the country you plan to visit for more information on their specific visa requirements.
How can I find affordable flights to Europe in 2023?
Finding affordable flights to Europe in 2023 can be a challenge, but here are some tips to help you save money:
1. Book early: Booking flights early can help you save money, as prices tend to increase closer to the departure date. Aim to book your flights at least 3-6 months in advance.
2. Be flexible with your travel dates: Flights can be cheaper on weekdays or during the offseason. Consider adjusting your travel dates to take advantage of lower prices.
3. Use flight search engines: Websites like Skyscanner, Kayak, and Google Flights allow you to search for flights across multiple airlines and compare prices. You can also set up price alerts to get notifications when prices drop.
4. Look for budget airlines: Budget airlines like Ryanair, EasyJet, and Norwegian Air often offer cheaper flights to Europe. Keep in mind that these airlines may charge extra fees for things like baggage and seat selection.
5. Consider layovers: Flights with layovers can be cheaper than direct flights, but make sure you have enough time between flights to make your connection.
6. Join airline loyalty programs: Joining airline loyalty programs can earn you rewards like free flights and upgrades. Some programs also offer discounts on flights.
7. Use credit card rewards: Some credit cards offer rewards points that can be redeemed for flights. Check with your credit card company to see if they offer any travel rewards programs.
Remember to compare prices across multiple airlines and booking sites before making a purchase. Keep in mind that the cheapest flights may not always be the best option, as they may have inconvenient departure times or longer layovers. Also, be aware of any travel restrictions or COVID-19 protocols that may affect your travel plans.
What are the best ways to save money on accommodation in Europe in 2023?
Accommodation can be a significant expense when traveling in Europe, but there are several ways to save money. Here are some tips for finding affordable accommodation in Europe in 2023:
1. Stay in hostels: Hostels are a budget-friendly option for solo travelers and groups. They offer dormitory-style rooms with shared bathrooms and common areas. Many hostels also offer private rooms at a higher cost. Popular hostel booking sites include Hostelworld and Booking.com.
2. Rent an apartment: Renting an apartment can be a good option for longer stays or for travelers who prefer more privacy. Sites like Airbnb, Vrbo, and Booking.com offer a wide range of apartments, homes, and guesthouses at different price points.
3. Stay in a guesthouse or B&B: Guesthouses and bed and breakfasts (B&Bs) offer a more personalized experience than hotels, often with home-cooked meals and local recommendations. Many guesthouses and B&Bs offer rooms at a lower cost than hotels. You can find listings on sites like Booking.com, TripAdvisor, and BedandBreakfast.com.
4. Look for hotel deals: Hotels can be expensive, but there are ways to find deals. Book directly with the hotel and ask about any discounts for AAA, military, or senior citizens. Sites like Expedia and Hotels.com offer deals and loyalty programs for frequent travelers.
5. Consider camping: Camping can be a fun and budget-friendly option for travelers who enjoy the outdoors. Many campsites offer amenities like showers, electricity, and WiFi. You can find listings on sites like Pitchup and Campsited.
6. Travel during the offseason: Accommodation prices can be higher during peak travel season, so consider traveling during the offseason. You may be able to find deals on hotels, hostels, and apartments during the quieter months.
Remember to read reviews and check the location and amenities before booking any accommodation. Consider your budget, itinerary, and personal preferences when deciding where to stay in Europe.
What should I pack for my trip to Europe in 2023?
Packing for a trip to Europe in 2023 will depend on the time of year, your itinerary, and personal preferences. However, here are some general tips to keep in mind:
1. Clothing: Pack versatile clothing that can be layered to accommodate changing weather conditions. Bring comfortable walking shoes, sandals, and a pair of dress shoes for more formal occasions. For women, a versatile scarf can be a useful accessory for both fashion and warmth.
2. Travel documents: Bring your passport, visa (if applicable), travel insurance, and any other important documents you may need. Make copies of your passport and other documents and keep them in a separate location from the originals.
3. Electronics: Bring a universal adapter and charger for your phone, camera, and other electronics. Consider bringing a power bank for extra battery life on-the-go.
4. Personal hygiene items: Pack a toiletry bag with essential items like toothpaste, toothbrush, shampoo, conditioner, deodorant, and any medications you need. Consider bringing travel-sized versions of these items to save space in your luggage.
5. Travel accessories: Bring a small daypack or crossbody bag for carrying your essentials while out and about. A reusable water bottle can also be handy for staying hydrated on the go. Consider bringing a packing cube or compression bag to save space in your luggage.
6. Miscellaneous: Consider bringing a small umbrella or rain jacket, a hat and sunglasses, and a lightweight jacket or sweater depending on the season. Don't forget to pack any necessary travel snacks or entertainment for the plane or train ride.
Remember to check the weather forecast and research the cultural dress code in the areas you'll be visiting to ensure you pack appropriately. Also, be mindful of luggage weight restrictions and airline carry-on regulations to avoid any extra fees or delays.
What are the best modes of transportation for traveling within Europe in 2023?
Europe has a well-developed transportation infrastructure, with a variety of options for traveling within the continent. The best mode of transportation for you will depend on your budget, schedule, and personal preferences. Here are some options to consider:
1. Train: Train travel is one of the most popular ways to get around Europe. Europe's rail network is extensive and efficient, with many high-speed and overnight trains available. Train travel is also generally more eco-friendly than other forms of transportation. Some popular train companies in Europe include Eurail, Eurostar, and Thalys.
2. Bus: Bus travel is a budget-friendly option for getting around Europe. Many bus companies offer connections between major cities and towns, and some companies offer hop-on-hop-off tours that allow you to explore at your own pace. Some popular bus companies in Europe include FlixBus, Eurolines, and National Express.
3. Car: Renting a car can be a convenient way to explore Europe, especially if you plan to visit more remote areas. However, keep in mind that driving laws and road signs may be different in each country, and some cities have limited parking options. Also, be aware that some countries require an International Driving Permit (IDP).
4. Airplane: Flying can be a good option for longer distances or when time is limited. Europe has many budget airlines that offer affordable flights between major cities and airports. However, keep in mind that airport security can add extra time to your journey, and some airports may be located far from the city center.
5. Bike: If you're looking for a more active way to explore Europe, consider renting a bike. Many cities have bike-sharing programs, and some tour companies offer bike tours of popular destinations.
Ultimately, the best mode of transportation for your European trip will depend on your specific travel plans and preferences. Consider your budget, itinerary, and desired level of comfort when deciding which transportation option to choose.
What are some tips for staying safe while traveling in Europe in 2023?
Traveling in Europe can be a wonderful experience, but it's important to take precautions to ensure your safety. Here are some tips to keep in mind while traveling in Europe in 2023:
1. Keep your belongings safe: Pickpocketing and theft are common in many tourist areas, so make sure to keep your belongings close and secure. Consider carrying a money belt or wearing a crossbody bag to keep your valuables safe.
2. Be aware of your surroundings: Stay vigilant and be aware of your surroundings, especially in crowded areas or at night. Avoid walking alone in unfamiliar areas, and stick to well-lit and busy streets.
3. Research your destination: Do some research on the areas you'll be visiting before you arrive. Learn about any local customs, laws, or safety concerns to better prepare yourself for your trip.
4. Keep important documents secure: Make copies of your passport, visa, and other important documents, and keep them in a separate location from your originals. Consider using a travel document holder to keep everything organized and secure.
5. Stay in touch: Make sure to stay in touch with friends and family back home, and let them know where you'll be staying and when you'll be returning. Consider using a tracking app or sharing your itinerary to keep them updated on your travels.
6. Use reputable transportation: When using public transportation, stick to reputable companies and avoid using unlicensed taxis or other forms of transportation. Consider using ride-sharing services or booking transportation in advance to avoid any issues.
7. Be prepared for emergencies: Keep a list of emergency contacts and important phone numbers, and make sure you have travel insurance that covers medical emergencies and other unexpected situations.
Remember, safety should always be your top priority while traveling in Europe. By taking these precautions, you can have a safe and enjoyable trip.
How can I avoid crowds while visiting popular tourist destinations in Europe in 2023?
There are several ways you can avoid crowds while visiting popular tourist destinations in Europe in 2023:
1. Visit during the shoulder season: Avoid traveling during the peak tourist season and instead opt for visiting during the shoulder season, which is the period just before or after the peak season. This way, you can still enjoy good weather and avoid large crowds.
2. Visit early in the morning or late in the evening: Many popular tourist attractions tend to get crowded during the middle of the day, so consider visiting early in the morning or late in the evening when the crowds are thinner.
3. Book in advance: Booking tickets and tours in advance can help you avoid long lines and crowds.
4. Explore less popular destinations: Instead of visiting the most popular tourist destinations, consider exploring some lesser-known destinations that are equally beautiful and interesting.
5. Use a local guide: Hiring a local guide can help you navigate the crowds and avoid tourist traps, as they can take you to less crowded spots and recommend off-the-beaten-path experiences.
Remember to always follow local health guidelines and restrictions, and be respectful of the local culture and environment.
What are the most popular food and drink options to try while traveling in Europe in 2023?
Europe is a diverse continent with a rich culinary tradition, and there are countless food and drink options to try while traveling there in 2023. Here are some of the most popular and iconic options to consider:
1. Italian pizza and pasta: Italy is famous for its delicious and authentic pizza and pasta dishes, which come in a wide variety of flavors and styles. Be sure to try classic dishes like margherita pizza and spaghetti carbonara.
2. French cuisine: French cuisine is renowned worldwide for its sophistication and flavor. Some popular French dishes include escargots, coq au vin, and bouillabaisse. Don't forget to try some fresh, crusty bread and butter, a staple of French cuisine.
3. Spanish tapas: Tapas are small, flavorful dishes that are meant to be shared. Spain is known for its delicious tapas, which can include everything from olives and cheese to fried calamari and chorizo.
4. German sausages and beer: Germany is famous for its hearty sausages and delicious beer. Be sure to try bratwurst and schnitzel, and pair it with a refreshing pint of German beer.
5. Belgian chocolate and waffles: Belgium is known for its delectable chocolate and crisp waffles. Be sure to try them both while you're there!
6. British fish and chips: Fish and chips is a classic British dish that consists of battered fish and deep-fried chips. It's a staple of British cuisine, and you can find it in most British pubs and restaurants.
7. Greek gyros and tzatziki: Greek cuisine is famous for its flavorful, healthy dishes. Gyros, which are made with tender meat, vegetables, and tzatziki sauce, are a must-try.
8. Swiss cheese and chocolate: Switzerland is famous for its delicious cheese and chocolate. Be sure to try some fondue or raclette and sample some of the world's best chocolate while you're there.
9. Portuguese custard tarts: Pasteis de nata, or Portuguese custard tarts, are a must-try when in Portugal. These delicious pastries are filled with sweet custard and have a flaky crust.
10. Polish pierogi: Pierogi are dumplings that can be filled with savory or sweet fillings. They are a popular dish in Poland and can be found in many restaurants and cafes.
These are just a few of the many delicious food and drink options to try while traveling in Europe in 2023. Be sure to also explore the local specialties of the regions you visit and try something new and exciting!
What are the cultural customs and etiquette to be aware of when traveling in Europe in 2023?
As a large and diverse continent, there are many different cultural customs and etiquette practices to keep in mind when traveling in Europe. Here are some general tips that can help you navigate cultural differences and be respectful during your travels:
1. Greetings: In most European countries, it is customary to greet people with a handshake or a kiss on the cheek, depending on the relationship and the region. It is also important to address people with their proper titles and last names unless they indicate otherwise.
2. Dress code: Europeans tend to dress more formally than many other cultures. When in doubt, it's best to err on the side of dressing up rather than down. Shorts and flip-flops are generally not appropriate for most formal occasions.
3. Table manners: European table manners can be quite different from those in other parts of the world. For example, it is considered impolite to eat with your hands in many European countries, and you should always keep your hands visible on the table during a meal. It's also important to wait until everyone has been served before starting to eat.
4. Language: While many Europeans speak English, it is always appreciated when visitors attempt to speak the local language. Learning a few key phrases can go a long way in showing respect for the local culture.
5. Tipping: Tipping customs vary widely across Europe, so it's important to research the local customs before you travel. In many countries, a service charge is automatically added to the bill, and tipping on top of that is not necessary.
6. Religion: Many Europeans are not religious, but religion still plays an important role in some cultures. Be respectful of local religious customs, such as dress codes for entering churches or mosques, and be aware that some businesses and attractions may be closed on religious holidays.
7. Punctuality: Europeans tend to place a high value on punctuality, so it's important to be on time for appointments and meetings. If you are running late, it's best to call or text to let the other person know.
8. Personal space: In many European cultures, personal space is valued more than in other cultures. Avoid standing too close to people, especially if you are a stranger, and avoid touching people unless you have been given permission to do so.
Overall, being aware of cultural customs and etiquette practices in Europe can help you navigate your travels more smoothly and avoid unintentionally offending anyone.